Sunday, October 11, 2009

I Discover Falafel

Yesterday at my school's annual FOOD FAIR, I tried falafel for the first time that I can remember. I have always been a pretty picky eater and finally, in the last couple of years, started to branch out. Mom recommended that I try the falafel at the Israeli booth this year, and so I did. As I waited cautiously in line, I watched the people working at the booth place balls of falafel, sesame dressing, and salad into each pita. I though for sure that I would not like the dressing (I rarely like dressing) and decided to ask for mine a minimal amount. When it was my turn, I gave in five tickets and in return received one pita. It seemed to be too late to ask for mine without dressing, so I just decided to go with the flow.

When I took my first bite, I was amazed by how good it was. I though to myself, How have I not tried this before? I could not believe what I had missed out on for all these years. The pita was warm and chewy, the salad was crunchy and delicious, the dressing was mild and creamy and not bad at all, the falafel was crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. The ratios in the combination were perfect. My mouth waters at simply the thought of it, but I guess I'll have to wait until next year for another bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment