Sunday, December 20, 2009

Talons

People-watching in trains is like looking at people under a microscope. No one looks normal on the subway. However, this needed no magnifying whatsoever.

I was sitting on the train on my way home from a soccer game when a woman entered the car and, as there were no available seats to be seen, took up a position standing directly in front of my seat.

I noticed someone standing in front of me and glanced up. She clutched a cell phone in one hand and held on tightly to the ceiling handle with the other one. I looked back down at my book. Wait, I thought to myself, there was something funny on her nails. I looked up once more, and was absolutely wowed. She had the most elaborate manicure I had ever seen and, let me tell you, I've seen some very impressive manicures.

This woman had nails that were absolutely over the top. First of all, on top of her natural nails, huge red talons were secured in place. Then, on each of these nails, there was a different Christmas-related object. These objects, little 3D miniature, included a bell that I'm pretty sure actually made noise and a santa face.

It was flabbergasting that someone would chose that method of expressing holiday spirit.

1 comment: