Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Afternoon of Architecture

A couple weeks ago on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I went to a kengakukai (a building open house) with my mother. We got on the train at Shibuya Station. It was my first time to ride the Fukutoshin-sen (Fukutoshin Line) and to see Tadao Ando's addition to Shibuya Station. Riding down the escalator from ground level, it didn't look like anything that special. Sure, more glass was used at the top part and everything looked fairly new. But altogether, I didn't think that it was that great. That is, until we descended to the underground portion.

I stepped off the escalator and glanced up briefly. Something caught my eye. What was it? I looked up again. Wow. There, staring me right in the face was a giant egg. Yes, an egg. It looked as though some massive creature had buried its egg in the middle of Tokyo and that all that remained was the shell. Mom explained that the egg transcended the different floors and was part of a design to make the station easier to navigate. I stood stunned in awe of the giant egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment