Sunday, September 27, 2009

They Come in All Shapes and Sizes


On Friday, I was at Midtown with Katherine. We were walking around on the basement floor of the building looking for a bakery so that Katherine could buy bread. When we found one, we went in and Katherine picked out her bread. I went around the small store looking at various different types of pastries and trying samples. Most of the food was fairly mainstream, the kind of thing you could find almost anywhere. Then, I noticed a tray of what the bakery called 'mini-muffins'. True to their name, they were about the size of Y500 pieces but looked exactly like normal muffins. Naturally, I couldn't resist and had to try one. There were two flavors that appealed to me: vanilla and chocolate. Of course, I bought one of each. Unfortunately, as appetizing as they appeared, they were not particularly sublime. It wasn't that the flavor was bad. Quite the contrary, in fact, the flavor was the best part. It was the texture that was problematic: much too dry.


Following the bakery, we went on to the supermarket. In front of the supermarket, there was a massive loaf of bread on display. It was unbelievably huge! When I touched it, it definitely felt real. I was amazed. How could anyone bake bread that size? Then, when I went back later, I noticed a little detail on the side of the bread that I had overlooked before. There was a long crack with little holes all down it along the side. Barely peeking out of one of these holes, I saw a piece of bubble-wrap. How appalling! Well, I guess somethings are just too good to be true.

1 comment: